Updated on: 01 October 2015
Effective from: 01 October 2015
By using our website, you are accepting the practices described in this policy.
What kind of information do we collect?
When you use our website (e.g. visit, register as a user, purchase products or services or apply for a employment on our website), we may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Website, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion on our Website, and when you report a problem with our Website.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you may decide for yourself whether to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to our Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise, and the resources that you access.
- If you are a subscriber or registered user (which may be you as an individual or an institution to which you are affiliated) (including a subscriber on a trial basis), your personal information will be used to enable us to verify that you are a subscriber and / or a registered user and to delivery any restricted content and functionality on the Website to you.
- Where applicable, information that you provide to us when you apply for any job openings via our Website.
Where we use third party tools, for example, Google Analytics, to assist us with our website, these service providers may collect certain data from your visits to our website including, for example, the web address of the page that you're visiting, and your IP address. They may also set cookies on your browser or read cookies that are already there.
How do we use your information?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in the interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To help us understand more about how our website is used and to improve our website.
Subject to applicable laws, we may also use your data, or permit our affiliates and/or partners to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you.
You may notify us either in writing or by telephone, fax or email that you object to being contacted or being contacted in a particular way. If you use more than one email address to communicate with us, please notify us of each email account you would like us to use to communicate with you. You may also contact us to ask what information we hold about you.
When do we share information?
We do not sell your personal information to third parties.
We share your information within OUP. We also share your information with our affiliates, our licensors, our agents, our distributors and our suppliers that assist us in making our website and/or the products and services on our website available to you (e.g. our hosting supplier).
If we believe that your use of our website is unlawful or damaging to others, we reserve the right to disclose the information we have obtained through our website about you to third parties to the extent that it is reasonably necessary in our opinion to prevent, remedy or take action in relation to such conduct.
We may also disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation; in order to enforce or apply any agreements or licences with you; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of OUP Pakistan, our employees, affiliates, agents, distributors, licensors, suppliers, and/or our customers. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
If any part of our business (including those of our affiliates) is sold or integrated with another business, your details may be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchasers and their advisers.
All personal and credit card information is encoded using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology before being sent over the Internet. To protect your data further, your credit card information is always stored in encrypted form in a database that is away from our Website database, so it is not connected to the Internet. Credit card transactions are issued a digital certificate, ensuring that your data can only be read by our transaction system as long as your browser shows its secure mode symbol (such as a key or closed lock).
As a major international publisher, committed to the widest possible dissemination of scholarship and learning, OUP has links with other organisations throughout the world. We exchange information with our overseas branches, associated companies and other parties, including distributors and sales agents.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Updating your details and contacting us